We all have these “bulb of light” moments that nudge us into a new direction. For me a facial had in celebration of my birthday was one of these moments (see here). The esthetician examined my face, said a few nice things about my pores and general skin and then, without a warning, pinched my cheek, saying: “Weak collagen, you are getting a saggy face already.”
See, I knew I would not be able to fight gravity forever. I mean, two kids and I can easily carry a pen beneath each breast (TMI?). But my boobs are nicely packed away most of the time.
My face is out there for everyone to see, and when I look really closely, I can see the first signs of bulldog cheeks appearing. Especially when I look closely at 6 am in harsh lighting and after a weekend of indulgence.
But is there something I can do about it? Actually there is. At least things that can improve the collagen production and thus slow the process. Some are diet based (bone broth and no sugar – I know, I can´t do it either), some are physical (Face rollers – I will write about them when I manage to use them consistently) and of course products, which is what we are all here for.
Best researched and mentioned numerous times here on the blog are retinol (read here) and Vitamin C, but there are a lot more and Qlabo Collagenerous (PR-Sample) features quite a few of them.
What Qlabo claims
15 days. That is all it takes to see the first formidable effects of Collagenerous on your skin.
This revolutionary product designed to restore Collagen III, also known as youth collagen, targets the entire spectrum of skin aging factors. Besides significantly reducing wrinkles and fine lines, this multi-tasker repairs the skin barrier and locks in moisture, fights free radical damages caused by UV and pollution, and restores a natural glow.
As it soothes and heals inflamed skin keeping chronic redness at bay, this ultra-hydrating moisturizer offers your skin the ultimate anti-aging care it has been longing for. Be surprised at how much younger, firmer and more supple your skin feels.
The innovative airless container ensures the freshness of this active lightweight formula with every use.
Prize and size
I love the packaging. You know I do. Airtight, pumps the right amount of product… Perfect. It contains 30 ml and retails for 49 $ on the website here. I have been using mine for two months now every morning and still have product left.
Texture and smell
Lightweight, white and easy to spread. It has a noticeable scent, but one I can´t really put my finger on. Fresh and a little bit floral maybe? Not unpleasant and not lingering.
Application and effects
One pump covers my whole face, two pumps take care of face, neck and décolletage. After application I notice a stickiness that subsides after around a minute. The product is prone to piling when combined with other silicone based products, so make sure to use a light hand when layering it under makeup or a silicone-heavy primer.
- Dimethicone: Humectant, draws moisture to the skin. Forms protective barrier
- Propanediol: Humectant
- Hydrolyzed Collagen: Hydrating (collagen applied topically does not increase the building of collagen in your skin!)
- Silybum Marianum Seed Oil: Antioxidant
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride:Moisturizing
- Glycerin: Humectant
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein: Humectant
- Allantoin: Soothing irritated skin
- Trehalose: Sugar of life, forms gel protecting against dehydration, antioxidant
- Polyisobutene: Emollient, prevents water loss from skin
- Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract: Soothing, moisturizing
- Methylglucoside Phosphate: Promotes collagen synthesis
- Copper Lysinate/Prolinate: Promotes collagen synthesis
- Sodium Carboxymethyl Betaglucan: Soothing, antioxidant
- Pentaerythrityl Tatra-Di-T-Butyl Hydrocinnamate: Antioxidant
- Polyacrylate-13: Thickener
- Cyclopentasiloxane: Silicone, smoothing
- Ethylhexylglycerin: Preservative
- Chlorphenesin: Preservative
- Xanthan Gum: Improves viscosity
- Disodium EDTA: Binding Agent
- Sodium Benzoate: Preservative. There are concerns that if it is mixed with Vitamin C it could form benzene, a carcinogen. Highly unlikely in the amounts used in skincare, but some people may prefer to avoid it (last in ingredient list)
- Polysorbate 20: Surfactant
- Silicones, which many people don´t want in their skincare. It is important though that silicones can be very different in effect. In general they are mostly emollientss and form a layer on the skin preventing moisture loss, same as many oils for example do. They are man made, which I personally don´t consider a flaw. Some, see Dimethicone, have proven themselves to be useful in other ways, others just smooth over the skin. Both kinds are represented in that product. You will have to make up your own mind if you want them in your skincare or not, but they are not the devil some people claim they are.
Does it live up to its claims?
As far as I can tell.
I have no means to measure the amount of collagen III at home, and the highly unscientifically examination of my face every morning in the bathroom mirror offered mixed results, depending on the mood I was in more than on the product.
It is hydrating, soothing and contains a lot of antioxidants though and my skin looked plumped and had a nice glow.
Would I repurchase?
I am not sure.
I like it and I enjoy using it, but I prefer the Qlabo Eauphoria (PR-Sample, Review) out of the two and will more likely repurchase that one.
Who do I recommend it to?
If saggy face and dehydration are your main concerns, this might be just for you.
If the science behind the skincare is very important to you, you will love the brand.
But if you prefer to avoid silicones (click the “Unfavorable ingredients” arrow to read my thoughts on that topic), this is not the product you will want to purchase. Other than that the brand is proud to be free of phthalates, parabens, phenoxyethanol, alcohol, synthetic colors and fragrances and takes a stand against animal cruelty.
The items in this post are PR samples. I was under no obligation to write about them and all opinion expressed are honest any my own. Links may be affiliate links via Skimlinks.